GI illness outbreak, deaths linked to consumption of undercooked morel mushrooms

Consumption of uncooked or undercooked morel mushrooms led to a gastrointestinal illness outbreak in spring 2023, resulting in two deaths. The outbreak occurred after individuals ate a special sushi roll containing morel mushrooms at a restaurant in Bozeman, Montana. A total of 51 people reported gastrointestinal symptoms after dining at the restaurant, with most experiencing diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, and other symptoms. A case-control study found a strong association between consuming the special sushi roll with morels and illness. The investigation emphasized the importance of cooking morel mushrooms before consumption to avoid potential toxicity.

Source link

error: Content is protected !!