7 Things You Should Know Before Getting Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers like Radiesse® at our Albany, NY practice have become overwhelmingly popular within the last few years. Celebrities, housewives, and urban professionals alike are flocking to medical spas and plastic surgery centers across America to reap the benefits of dermal fillers. Because of the sudden peak in popularity, many people decide to get treatment without doing research first. This post will educate you on a few dermal filler basics, and this knowledge will help you achieve your desired results.
- Fillers aren’t just for achieving fuller lips: Fillers can also be used for moderate to severe facial wrinkles, specifically nasolabial folds. They can also correct acne scars, and can even replace loss of volume in the face that comes with age.
- You should always choose a qualified injector: Dermal fillers are becoming more and more popular, so many spas and salons have started to offer some of these treatments. However, not all these providers are trustworthy. Though getting fillers seems like a minor procedure, it is still important to do your research and find a provider that is properly trained and has ample experience. Be wary of Groupons or deals that are too good to be true. Many patients have come to us to fix botched injections from bargain-priced providers.
- The injections may not be as scary as you think. Most dermal fillers are mixed with lidocaine, which will provide some pain relief during and after the injections. We can also use ice and numbing cream to ease any pain. Overall, patients report mild pain, if any, when getting injectable fillers.
- Bruising and swelling is possible, but there are ways to minimize them. Don’t be alarmed if you have slight bruising and swelling. Everyone’s bodies react a little differently to injectables. Gently icing the treated areas can help with these minor side effects. Also, we recommend that patients steer clear of medications that are correlated with blood-thinning—aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. These can cause greater bruising.
- Be patient for the results to appear as you had imagined. You will start seeing your results within the first day. Having said that, because of the minor bruising and swelling, it may take a week or more for complete healing. At this point, you will be able to see your final results.
- The longevity of the results can vary. Each type of dermal filler has a slightly different lifespan. Depending on which filler you choose, and where you choose to have treatment, results can last anywhere from a few months up to a few years.
- Hyaluronic acid can be dissolved, just in case you don’t like your results after all. If you are unhappy with your results, there is no need to worry. The results of hyaluronic fillers can be reversed using an enzyme. Usually one injection of the enzyme is sufficient, but sometimes multiple injections are necessary.
If you want to learn more about dermal fillers check out our previous post about the different types. If you think you may be a good candidate, request a consultation online, and we will design an individualized treatment plan that will rejuvenate and refresh your skin.