To many who were unhappy with the shape and size of their breasts, augmentation and lift procedures came as a major blessing. Breast reduction is another breast procedure that has brought comfort to those who are unsatisfied with the proportions of their breasts. For patients who want to decrease the size of their overly large busts, this surgery is an excellent choice.
Breast reduction, also called reduction mammoplasty, is a plastic-surgery option that aims to reduce the size of a person’s breasts through the removal of excess fat, glandular tissue, and skin tissue. This not only reduces the volume but also the weight of the breasts, helping the patients live normal and comfortable lives.
Plastic surgeons use different approaches to breast reduction depending on the size of the breasts and the degree of breast sag. Here are some of the main breast-reduction techniques:
• Liposuction – Patients who have breasts with excess fat in them may require only minor volume reduction without any need for sag correction. In these cases, liposuction alone would suffice.
• Donut (Benelli) technique – This technique is useful for making minor size corrections. An incision is made around the perimeter of the areola, and another concentric circle is made around this incision.
• Lollipop (vertical) technique – This option is ideal for removal of small to moderate volumes of excess tissues. A circular incision is made around the areola and a vertical incision is made that travels down from this to the crease of the breast.
• Inferior pedicle (anchor) technique – Also called the inverted-T or wise pattern technique, this surgery is used when the size of the breasts is extremely excessive. With this, sagging can also be corrected. Three incisions are made: one around the areola, one vertically from the areola to the crease of the breast, and one along the crease. This resembles the appearance of an anchor. After the excess tissue is removed, the nipple-areolar complex is moved up to achieve an even appearance.
How Breast Reduction Helps
For women who are encumbered with breasts that are large or asymmetrical, reduction surgery can do a world of good:
• Physical – The weight of large breasts often causes neck, back, and shoulder aches, not to mention the pain of bra straps cutting into the skin. Sweating and rashes under the breasts are common problems for these patients. Exercise also becomes difficult. Breast reduction gives them freedom from physical pain and improves their mobility.
• Aesthetic – Breast reduction can bring symmetry to the breasts and improve them aesthetically. The size and shape can be reduced so that it is more proportional to the body.
• Emotional – Women with larger breasts than normal for their body shape often struggle with low self-esteem. This can also mean unwanted sexual attention. Breast reduction restores proper proportion to patients’ bodies. Patients don’t look overweight anymore, clothes fit them better, and in many cases, they feel more confident.
Arrange a Helpful Consultation
Doctors Roger Friedman, Douglas Forman, Kathy Huang, and Anita Kulkarni are board-certified plastic surgeons who will be happy to help you reach your aesthetic goals. Contact our office to schedule your breast-reduction consultation.