Pregnancy and childbirth are incredible, life-changing experiences. Pregnancy can reshape your body in both large and small ways you never expected.
Gossip magazines and “clickbait” websites make it seem as if anyone should be able to bounce right back from pregnancy. In reality, however, most women aren’t lucky enough to return to their pre-pregnancy appearance quickly. The majority of mothers struggle with diet and exercise to get close to what they looked like before having children.
Is a Mommy Makeover Right for You?
After nine months – or longer, if you’re nursing your baby – you may be dreaming of restoring your pre-pregnancy silhouette. The good news is that modern cosmetic surgery techniques have given us many options for improving problem areas and helping patients be more satisfied with the way they look and feel.
At our Raleigh clinic, the mommy makeover is our most commonly requested surgery. A mommy makeover is the best way to take care of women’s biggest post-pregnancy complaints in one operation. Combining procedures can also help shorten your recovery time and reduce the overall costs of having surgery.
Watch the “What’s Up, Doc?” video below to hear board-certified cosmetic surgeon Dr. Stewart Collins explain why the mommy makeover has become our most popular procedure.
Get $1,500 off Mommy Makeovers
For a limited time, we are offering spectacular seasonal savings on some of our most popular procedures, including $1,500 off mommy makeovers. Learn more about this offer, then keep reading to learn why a mommy makeover is right for you.
What Is a Mommy Makeover?
Though the term “mommy makeover” was coined relatively recently, all the procedures involved have a long, successful and safe track record. A typical makeover might include a tummy tuck, a breast procedure such as a lift or reduction and liposuction of the legs, arms or buttocks.
● Belly procedures: An abdominoplasty – commonly known as a tummy tuck – with or without liposuction can create a flatter stomach by reducing loose or sagging skin. The procedure can also help tighten muscles that have become relaxed or separated under the prolonged stresses associated with carrying a child.
● Breast procedures: Pregnancy and breastfeeding both reshape the breasts due to hormonal changes. Postpartum patients typically benefit from either a breast lift or a breast reduction to create shapelier, more youthful-looking breasts. Dr. Collins may also recommend a breast implant to improve overall volume.
● Liposuction: Some pockets of fat stubbornly resist diet and exercise. Liposuction is an option to effectively re-contour and improve the overall shape and appearance of almost any area of your body, including abdomen, buttocks, arms, neck and legs.
Who Should Consider a Mommy Makeover?
Mommy makeover surgery is a highly individualized procedure that is ideal for any woman who wants to restore her body to a more youthful, pre-pregnancy appearance. We recommend getting this procedure performed only after you have finished childbearing and breastfeeding and have let your body recover for at least a year after delivering your baby.
If childbirth has left you with the following complaints, you may want to consider undergoing a mommy makeover.
● Your belly has loose or sagging skin and stretch marks, and your waistline has thickened
● You have sagging or uneven breasts, decreased breast volume, drooping nipples or stretched areolas
● Due to pregnancy and breastfeeding, your breasts are now so large that they are out of proportion with the rest of your body, and causing you back pain and discomfort
● You have areas of fat hanging over a scar left from one or more C-sections
● You have excess “love handles,” as well as fat deposits in the hips and thighs
The best candidates for a mommy makeover should also be in good physical health, within their target body weight and have a positive outlook and realistic expectations for their surgical outcomes.
Preparing for Your Mommy Makeover
Patients interested in learning more about their options for a mommy makeover should schedule a consultation at our clinic. Dr. Collins will sit down with you to discuss what you hope to achieve, evaluate you as a candidate for a mommy makeover and explain what combination of procedures may benefit you most.
Once we have a clear understanding of your goals, we will create an individualized treatment plan to address your specific concerns.
Approach the consultation with the mindset that it is an open and honest conversation between you and your doctor. Come fully prepared to ask us any questions you have about the procedures you are planning to undergo.
We may also ask you questions such as:
● Do you have any medical conditions or drug allergies?
● Have you had any previous surgeries?
● What medications or supplements are you currently taking?
● How often do you use alcohol, tobacco and recreational drugs?
● What is your history with cosmetic procedures?
● What outcomes do you expect from the surgery?
● What is the primary reason you want to undergo a mommy makeover?
Dr. Collins may also:
● Take photos for your medical record, using computer imaging to show improvements you can expect
● Evaluate your health status, including pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
● Assess the elasticity of your skin
● Discuss likely outcomes, including risks or potential complications
● Discuss the type of anesthesia that will be used
In preparation for your mommy makeover surgery, we may also ask you to:
● Get lab testing or a medical evaluation
● Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
● Stop smoking
● Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements, as they can increase the risk of bleeding
Get Your Mommy Makeover at Collins Plastic Surgery
We have performed hundreds of mommy makeover surgeries at our private, state-of-the-art accredited operating facility in Raleigh. With more than a decade of experience in the fields of reconstructive and cosmetic plastic surgery, Dr. Collins strives to give each patient an individualized experience with the most natural-looking results.
If you’re ready to return to your pre-pregnancy shape, a mommy makeover may be just what you’re looking for. Contact our clinic today to request a consultation to discuss your goals and the best options for you.