Kids have a way of keeping parents on their toes, especially when it comes to bumps and bruises from playing. If your child chips one of their teeth after a hard fall, a kickball accident, from crunching on hard candy, or for any reason, your emergency dentist in Tysons can rescue their smile. Learn what to do if this happens to your child from the team at Avanti Dentistry.
What Should I Do If My Child Chips Their Tooth?
As the premier pediatric dentist in Tysons, our team of experts knows that dental emergencies can be anxiety provoking, especially for children. If you and your child find yourselves in an urgent oral health situation, stay calm and call us right away at (571) 748-5302. Follow the first aid steps below for a chipped tooth:
- Examine your child’s mouth to make sure no pieces of tooth are stuck in the gums, lips, or tongue.
- Rinse your child’s mouth with water.
- Place a cold compress on the outside of the mouth to reduce swelling.
- If the area is bleeding, apply pressure using clean gauze that’s been moistened with salt water, or a wet tea bag.
- Collect any fragments and store them in a cup of milk.
- Call us as soon as possible so we can restore your child’s oral health – chipped teeth can leave tooth nerves exposed, so don’t delay treatment.
- If your son or daughter is in pain, give them an over-the-counter (OTC) child’s painkiller, following the dosing instructions on the medicine.
- For the next few days after the chip happens, feed your child soft foods that will be gentle on their teeth.
When Should I Go To The ER For My Child’s Chipped Tooth?
Since only dentists can perform dentistry, and most hospitals don’t have oral healthcare professionals on staff, contact us first for chipped teeth. However, if your child is experiencing the complications of a chipped tooth that are listed below, you should go to the nearest emergency department immediately:
- If your child has bleeding that doesn’t stop with applied pressure in 15-20 minutes.
- If your child is having trouble breathing and you cannot find any tooth fragments – the ER can help if your son or daughter inhaled any pieces.
How Can Avanti Dentistry Treat My Child’s Chipped Tooth?
Our team of trusted dental professionals have a variety of ways they can restore your child’s smile from a chipped tooth:
- We can try to reattach tooth fragments with a special glue.
- We can bond the tooth back together, reinforcing it and allowing it to function properly.
- We can use special dental accessories to hold your child’s tooth in place.
- We can address the break with a safe porcelain dental crown.
And, since an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, we can prevent childhood chips with mouthguards, sportguards, and treatment for teeth grinding in kids.
Now that you know what to do if your child chips a tooth, and how our practice can save their smile, schedule your appointment with Avanti Dentistry today!
The post See Your Emergency Dentist In Tysons When Your Child Chips A Tooth appeared first on Avanti Dental Blog.