Find out if your abdominal symptoms could be indicative of a more serious health issue.
There are so many causes of abdominal pain and while many of them aren’t serious, there are certain instances when you need to listen to what your body is trying to tell you. From the office of your Houston, TX gastroenterologist Dr. Vikram Jayanty, find out when your abdominal pain needs medical attention.
What can cause abdominal pain?
There are some common culprits known to cause abdominal pain such as,
- Gallstones or a gallbladder infection
- Stomach ulcers
- Ovarian cysts
When do I need to see my Houston GI doctor?
It’s always best to play it safe rather than sorry when it comes to your health. If your abdominal pain has you alarmed, there is nothing wrong with giving us a call and finding out whether it warrants a trip to our office.
Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- How severe is the pain? Does it wake you up in the middle of the night? Does everything stop the moment the pain shows up?
- Does the pain seem persistent, often lasting several minutes, rather than coming in brief spurts?
- Is the area where you are experiencing the abdominal pain also tender to the touch or when you move?
- Has your abdominal pain made you feel nauseous or caused you to lose your appetite?
- Are you feeling lightheaded or dizzy?
- Are you vomiting?
- Do you have blood in your stools?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above questions then it’s time you visited us. These could all be a sign of something more serious, so it’s important that you get a proper diagnosis as soon as possible.
On the other hand, abdominal pain is usually not a cause for concern if it’s mild, comes and goes, isn’t tender to the touch, and doesn’t affect your appetite or daily activities.
Don’t let abdominal pain affect your life. Call Dr. Jayanty, your GI specialist in Houston to find out what might be going on and how to properly treat it. Don’t ignore your discomfort.